In today’s digital era our pace is rushed and relentless. We’re wired up and connected at all times, and in the same moment, we’re melting down and crashing hard. Time management is no longer a viable solution. How can we keep our energy to endure high performance at work as well as maintain our health, happiness, and overall life balance?
In my coaching sessions, one of the comments I hear most is “I’m tired.” Trust me; I get it. The market is moving fast, and there isn’t much time to get all of the items on our lists done, let alone time to rest. At the same time, taking time to rest and recover is critical to success.
In the book The Power of Full Engagement, authors Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz discuss the concept of managing our energy and not our time. This is quite a different concept for most of us. Many of us believe that time doesn’t change and we can’t control it. Our response and the energy we put into our time is what we can control.
Balancing stress and recovery is critical in all facets of life. When we expend energy, we draw down our reservoir. When we recover energy, we fill it back up. Too much energy expenditure without recovery leads to burnout and breakdown. Too much recovery without use or sufficient stress leads to atrophy and weakness.
There needs to be balance between the two: equal work and recovery. Here are some tips to help you manage your energy:
1. Take a time-out each day. Are you asking, “How and when?” This doesn’t have to be a long break—even just twenty to thirty minutes to step away from the phone and computer. You can open a window and breath in the air, listen to music, call a friend for a fun talk. Just step away and shut your mind down. The world will not fall apart in twenty minutes.
2. Eat better. It’s true. Eating less fast food and a more balanced diet will give you better energy to face the day. If you’re on the run, put a cooler in your car with some fruit, water, and snacks to allow you to grab a quick refuel when you need it.
3. Work with the “right” people. You don’t need to work with everyone. Take time to make sure you are choosing to work with the right people— those you can help, who want your help, and who value you. Nothing can drain a battery faster than working with the wrong client.
4. Give yourself a break. No one is perfect. Neither is life. You can have the best-laid plans for the day, and they can change in an instant. That’s okay. Try your best. If you get off track, just breathe and get back on the routine as quickly as you can. At the end of the day, review and reflect on your daily activities. If you did your best, celebrate! It isn’t about being perfect; it’s about doing the best with what you have.
5. Ask for help. I know this is hard for many—me included. This is a busy and crazy world, and we need to support each other. We can’t be in two places at once, and it isn’t fair to ourselves, our families, or our clients to try to be. If you need help, ask for it. Find a friend, mentor, or guide.
I know all of this seems like common sense, and it’s easy to sit here and give advice. So I’ll tell you from my heart that I’m working hard to live these tips. It isn’t easy, but every day I get up, get focused, and commit to doing my best. I no longer punish myself if I don’t get it all done. I just do my best.
Give it your all, and take time to celebrate you. You work hard; give yourself some grace.
This article was adapted from Clara Capano’s new guidebook Find Your Focus: 52 Weeks of Clara-ty, now available on Amazon and other major booksellers. For more information on Clara Capano and her work, please visithttp://clara-ty.com
Photo credit: Louis Moncouyoux
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.
viagra professional canadian pharmacy viagra viagra pills
non prescription viagra sildenafil can you buy viagra over the counter
can you have multiple orgasms with cialis cialis online real cialis without a doctor’s prescription
viagra price buy cheap viagra generic viagra names
supplements for ed best ed supplements errection problem cure
buy online pharmacy homeopathic remedies for ed medication for ed
cheapest viagra online buy generic drugs generic name for viagra
viagra without a doctor prescription usa canadian pharmacy viagra viagra without a doctor prescription canada
how to get viagra buy viagra generic is viagra over the counter
viagra over the counter walmart cheap ed pills viagra prescription online
what type of medicine is prescribed for allergies Cheap Erection Pills erectile dysfunction natural remedies
ed dysfunction treatment ed treatments that really work cheap erectile dysfunction
best male ed pills generic ed pills natural ed pills
buy erection pills generic cialis how to cure ed
online prescription for ed meds generic cialis erectile dysfunction pills
daily use of cialis cialis cialis 30 day trial voucher
tiujana cialis tadalafil generic cialis available
erectile dysfunction pills best ed pills best drug for ed
buy online pharmacy ed pills online pharmacy erectile dysfunction remedies
sildenafil generic cheap generic sildenafil
instant online payday loans payday loans direct lenders
sildenafil pharmacy cheapest sildenafil
payday loans no credit check instant approval cash advance
compare pharmacy prices for prescriptions compare pharmacy
It’s actually mostly unthinkable to see well-advised readers on this content, even though you seem like you know the things that you’re writing about! Thank You click here
It can be near impossible to encounter well-qualified visitors on this theme, and yet you seem like you realize the things you’re writing on! With Thanks Read more
erectile dysfunction medication https://sildenafilxxl.com/ buy viagra online cheap
real cialis without a doctor’s prescription pharmacies not requiring a prescription buy prescription drugs from canada
where to buy viagra online buy viagra online online doctor prescription for viagra
best pharmacy online Cipro ed drugs online
Howdy, I do think your website might be having web browser compatibility problems. When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Aside from that, fantastic site!
best place to buy viagra online viagra buying viagra online
ed prescription drugs: best treatment for ed cause of ed
prescription drugs online without doctor: best male ed pills generic ed pills
real cialis without a doctor prescription cialis in canada cialis price
zithromax capsules 250mg zithromax 500mg price can you buy zithromax over the counter
viagra canada no prescription viagra non prescription viagra
viagra canada buy generic viagra online mail order viagra
where to get viagra online viagra prescription canadian online pharmacy viagra