If you want to excel in your career path to the point that you pass even your dad, who has obviously spent a few extra decades in the job field, work will be involved. It takes a whole lot of effort to move up so rapidly that you condense a few decades into a few years.
Get ready for the role reversal, dad.
But it’s not necessarily back-breaking work. In this instance, it’s a case of working smarter, not physically harder. If you wish to rise quickly, here’s a trajectory to consider, complete with some necessary steps.
1. Always focus on resume building. Every employer uses a resume to quantify job candidates, and an outstandingresume quickly starts you out on the path to superstardom. Every opportunity that comes your way should be thought of in terms of whether it’s something you’d like to see on your list of experiences. Whether it’s volunteer efforts or investment club attendance, think carefully about how you spend every second of your time. Wasted time will hold you back in achieving your goal to be your dad’s boss in five years!
2. Develop the skills that your dad’s present boss brings to the table. If possible, meet the boss. Emulate his or her apparent characteristics, and he or she will be more likely to notice you. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it also gains you attention from those who influence hiring decisions.
3. Find your weaknesses. No one rises quickly when they exhibit flaws of character, judgment or work ethics. Identify yours and write them down. Hang them up in a visible place, such as on the refrigerator or bathroom mirror. Being reminded of them will help you to direct your efforts towards fixing your shortcomings while retaining your positive traits.
4. Build on your strengths. Every leader has some natural gifts that help them get to the top. Sometimes it’s a quick thinking ability, sometimes it’s charm coupled with a ‘can do’ attitude. Whatever your gifts, become the master of them by gettingasoundeducation. That mastery will serve you well when you can execute your embellished natural gifts without apparent effort.
5. Be broad in both your study and your interests. Knowing every single detail about tires, if that’s the business you’re in, isn’t enough to land you the ‘boss’ position. You must also be able to handle workers, salespeople, repair people, problems and every other eventuality. While it’s important to know the tires too, they’re not the only things to stay current upon.
6. Learn to handle issues smoothly. Negative news pops up all the time in the business world, and an effective boss is adept at handling the situation before it becomes a crisis.
7. See where the trends lead in the industry. It’s not a case of learning about what’s important now; it’s a case of seeing what will be important in a few years. By being ahead of the curve, you can position yourself to thrive when your knowledge comes into heightened demand.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.