Are you overwhelmed with stress daily? Change may be easier than you think. Here are 3 easy ways to redefine your crazy weeks.
#1: Develop a routine.
The biggest contributor to a stress-free lifestyle is routine. Without it, life is chaos. It provides the foundation for all of your behaviors and gives you the consistency to reach a goal. Whether it’s related to eating, sleeping or exercising, be sure to determine your needs accurately and lay out the groundwork for successful completion.
#2: Remind yourself to enjoy each day.
It’s a shame we need to remind ourselves to enjoy each day. Over the last ten years, I’ve learned from my personal training clients that people are generally unhappy. I don’t blame them. With the overwhelming stresses of work, family, and Chicago sports, it’s easy to be distracted from the fruits of life.
Although I wouldn’t expect you to dismiss these stresses, I certainly encourage to change your perspective on them. Life will throw challenges at you each day. It’s time to embrace them as learning experiences for growth and wisdom. By doing this, you may look at these challenges in a more positive light and begin to enjoy the process of living—not just the achievement of results.
#3: Simplify your life.
Since there are many obstacles that you face daily, simplify your approach and environment as much as possible. Life is stressful when submerged under a disorganized mess. Make the following changes today:
- Get rid of clothes, paperwork, and other random things in your closet/cabinets/trunk/yard/garage/basement that you haven’t touched in 6 months.
- Quit trying to multitask. Free your mind and focus on one thought at a time.
- Place things that you use daily in the same spot (e.g., your keys, phone, etc.). Quit wasting time searching for misplaced items.
- Consolidate bank accounts. Track your spending habits all in one place.
- Save time by ordering what you need online. You no longer need to waste hours searching for products in multiple stores.
- How long does it take you to wash your clothes? Have you thought about consolidating your whites and colors in cold water? Unless your clothes are filthy, there isn’t a need to separate your clothes into different Save your time, sanity, and money and wash everything at once.
- Learn to say no. Quit overextending yourself! Only accept projects, social invitations or responsibilities within your limits.
- Unsubscribe to email newsletters.
How else can you start a new life today?
Looking for other ways to redefine your life? Check out my recent articles 50 Ways to Change Your Life Today or 9 Self-Improvement Books That Will Change Your Life too.
Michael Moody is the author of the self-improvement book Redefine Yourself: The Simple Guide to Happiness and the former fitness expert on NBC’s The Biggest Loser/MSN Chicago tour. The owner of the successful Chicago personal training business Michael Moody Fitness, his fitness and life-structure programs have helped his personal training clients lose more than 2,500 pounds since 2005. Michael has been featured in Muscle & Fitness and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines, among others. During his time as the official trainer for PBS’s The Whitney Reynolds Show, he also produced an inspirational segment about his travels in Guatemala.
Having researched emotion and coping behaviors in university-level studies, Michael has presented various fitness, motivation, body image, and stress-management programs at Illinois State University, DePaul University, corporations, high schools, and workshops.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.