Negative thinking is definitely one of the biggest problems a lot of us suffer from.
Ironically, the more you try to rationalize it, the more you tend to only think about it and in turn become more negative.
It’s a crazy, vicious cycle. That’s why I think it’s good to simply listen, absorb and be inspired by what the world can offer you. That’s how you’d be blessed with different insights all together.
Here are 15 quotes to help you smash negative thinking
1) “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.”
― Alphonse Karr, A Tour Round My Garden
Kind of like seeing the glass half-full. Focus on the positive. Focus on the beauty instead. There’s simply no point focusing on the negative aspect of everything and feel down about it. There is beauty in a lot of things, even yourself.
2) “You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.”
― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Despite what’s going on in your head, you’re absolutely capable of doing anything. You can because you are. You should because life is short. Don’t let a bunch of less-than-perfect thoughts hold you back.
3) “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions” – Will Smith
More often than not, negative thoughts come from your surroundings i.e. the people you’re with. And unfortunately, we let the negative people get to us. Don’t. These people don’t matter. So why let them make you feel less than great?
4) “Always think extra hard before crossing over to a bad side, if you were weak enough to cross over, you may not be strong enough to cross back!”
― Victoria Addino
I personally think that all of us are repressed on a certain level. We think of revenge, serving justice on our wrongdoers or just not wanting to care. But we hold back because we don’t want to get in trouble. This is an ironic cycle as we keep asking, “What if?”. Nah. We should stop thinking about this altogether and just try to be happy. As the quote states, we may be too weak to cross back, and that’s how regret is made.
5) “If you are positive, you’ll see opportunities instead of obstacles.”
― Widad Akrawi
Everything has a piece of goodness in them, even if it’s hard to see it. I say, just open your eyes and see it then. Life isn’t perfect, so you might as well start reaping the goodness than keep complaining about it.
6) “If we are not currently experiencing the danger of war, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, the pangs of starvation, we are ahead of some 500 million people in the world.” –Unknown
Your life really isn’t that bad. It could be worse. You’re that lucky. So be grateful and start thanking life in your head.
7) “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t either way you are right!”
― Henry Ford
Why should you ever be wrong? It’s your head. You own all the thoughts. You’re right, correct and not wrong. So start believing in yourself.
8) “If you have good thoughts they’ll shine on your face like sun beams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
Because… why do you ever want to look ugly?
9) “Stay positive, all other choices are pointless punishments to your psyche.”
― Joe Peterson, Help Me Live… As I Die, Cancer vs. the Power of Love
That’s right. If it’s not positive, it’s entirely useless. In the grand scheme of things, it is nothing. It does not do you any good. It shouldn’t even exist.
10) “Every once in a while you gotta stop worrying or thinking and just let go. Have some fun in your life. Trust me, it’s worth it.” – Unknown
How often is it that we forget to actually have fun? Fun doesn’t come from thinking. You just do it and feel it! Stop the thoughts. Be spontaneous.
11) “We don’t appreciate negative vibes around here. Move along” – Unknown
Just like how you look ugly when you’re filled with negative thoughts, you also give off that vibe to others. Others can feel it. No excuses. So move on from it and be happy. Otherwise, others will ask you to move.
12) “Take a walk outside – it will serve you far more than pacing around in your mind.”
― Rasheed Ogunlaru
Yep. Stop what you’re doing and get out of the house. This is an instant relief from negative thoughts.
13) “Start thinking positively. You will notice a difference. Instead of “I think I’m a loser,” try “I definitely am a loser.” Stop being wishy-washy about things! How much more of a loser can you be if you don’t even know you are one? Either you are a loser or you are not. Which is it, stupid?”
― Ellen DeGeneres, The Funny Thing Is…
A funny one. But so true. Notice how negative thinking just makes you go back and forth for no real reason whatsoever? Notice how useless it is?
14) “When you have experienced the depth of your inner self, the idea of enlightenment is no longer a goal to strive towards, but rather an attitude to maintain.”
― Gary Hopkins
Do some deep reflection. Meditate. Start watching out for yourself and love yourself more than anything. Aim for positive thoughts for a positive life forever. Don’t sweep things under the rug or mask the bad stuff for short-term gain. You owe it to yourself.
15) “You’ve your five senses to create and express yourself for a happy life. Why let mere thoughts alone overpower all of them?” – Alden Tan
Plugging in my own quote shamelessly here haha. I used to be a very negative person. It hit me one day that we’re so capable of doing anything we want with our own physical bodies. It doesn’t make sense to let negative thoughts control us fully! Add to that, we also have our own unique talents and passion. We need to stop letting negativity deprive us of the good stuff.
Just for Pick the Brain readers
If you reach to the end of this article, that’s awesome!
I just wanted to tell you about my new free book! 12 Things Happy People Don’t Give a F**k About!
It’s a simple, free book that let’s you know what you need to let of in life to be super happy!
This free book is only available through this link to Alden-Tan. Check it out!
Alden Tan keeps it real at his blog and writes about motivation in unconventional ways. His two main passions are Bboying and writing. Check out his free report, 12 Things Happy People Don’t Give a F**k About!
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.