I used to think that school was the place to get an education. But I was wrong.
School is just part of your education.
We live in an Information Age where we can learn about almost anything in the world — as long as we have the willpower to. There’s bound to be a website, video or podcast that you can get access to for free (or close to free), where you’ll get the information you want.
So all we have to do is cultivate a burning desire to learn. I hope that these 15 quotes will help you to do just that:
1. “I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious.”
– Albert Einstein
2. “The person who knows HOW will always have a job; the person who knows WHY will always be the boss.”
– John Maxwell
3. “In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”
– Eric Hoffer
4. “If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”
– Benjamin Franklin
5. “Shall I tell you a secret of a true scholar? It is this: every man I meet is my master in some point and in that I learn from him.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. “Education is learning what you didn’t even know you didn’t know.”
– Daniel Boorstin
7. “Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge. Let your learning lead to action.”
– Jim Rohn
8. “If a person will spend one hour a day on the same subject for five years, that person will be an expert on that subject.”
– Earl Nightingale
9. “Unless you do something beyond what you’ve already mastered, you will never grow.”
– Ronald E. Osborne
10. “The greatest enemy of learning is knowing.”
– John Maxwell
11. “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
– John Wooden
12. “What is a college? An institute of learning. What is a business? An institute of learning. Life, itself, is an institute of learning.”
– Thomas Edison
13. “That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you’ve understood all your life, but in a new way.”
– Doris Lessing
14. “There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don’t know.”
– Ambrose Bierce
15. “The quickest way to become an old dog is to stop learning new tricks.”
– John Rooney
It’s over to you
Are you ready to learn something new?
You could enroll in a Udacity course, watch a Khan Academy video, sign up for a webinar, or read a book. The possibilities are infinite.
So let’s set some goals for the coming year, and embrace the privilege of becoming lifelong learners.
Daniel Wong is a learning and teen expert, and is the author of “The Happy Student: 5 Steps to Academic Fulfillment and Success.” He specializes in empowering teenagers to become both happy and successful, and he shows parents how they can help too.