Maximizing your potential is about doing things you never knew you could do and reaching heights that you can only dream about. It’s about pushing yourself to become a better and stronger person.
When you break down your limits and barriers, you stop holding yourself back and do more than you thought possible.
As Thomas Edison once said, “If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.”
However life can have other plans. We get caught up in our routines and find days when we’re unmotivated. Even if you work hard, staying inspired to do more can seem difficult.
That’s where this list comes in. Sometimes all you need are a few inspiring words of wisdom to keep pushing forward as you find out just what you’re made of.
1. “I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply all my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.” – Og Mandino
2. “Think big and don’t listen to people who tell you it can’t be done. Life’s too short to think small.” – Tim Ferriss
3. “Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “Failure doesn’t mean you are a failure it just means you haven’t succeeded yet.” – Robert H. Schuller
5. “It’s not what you achieve, it’s what you overcome. That’s what defines your career.” – Carlton Fisk
6. “The important thing is this: to be ready at any moment to sacrifice what you are for what you could become.” – Charles Dickens
7. “Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That’s truly about the game, and in some ways that’s about life too.” – Michael Jordan
8. “Be what you are. This is the first step towards becoming better than you are.” – J. C. Hare & A. W. Hare
9. “Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin
10. “Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.” – Brian Tracy
11. “Flowers do not force their way with great strife. Flowers open to perfection slowly in the sun. Don’t be in a hurry about spiritual matters. Go step by step and be very sure.” – White Eagle
12. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D. Larson
13. “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’re always in the same place.” – Nora Roberts
14. “Transformation is not five minutes from now; it’s a present activity. In this moment you can make a different choice, and it’s these small choices and successes that build up over time to help cultivate a healthy self-image and self esteem.” – Jillian Michaels
15. “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” – Andy Rooney
16. “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” – Vince Lombardi
17. “You never stop earning when you do what you love.” – Asha Tyson
18. “What is the recipe for successful achievement? To my mind there are just four essential ingredients: Choose a career you love, give it the best there is in you, seize your opportunities, and be a member of the team.” – Benjamin F. Fairless
19. “I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it.” – Lou Holtz
20. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
21. “Great work is done by people who are not afraid to be great.” – Fernando Flores
22. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
23. “The happiest people in the world are those who feel absolutely terrific about themselves, and this is the natural outgrowth of accepting total responsibility for every part of their life.” – Brian Tracy
24. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life. Define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
25. “Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, ‘This is the real me’, and when you have found that attitude, follow it.” – William James
26. “Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centred by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.” – Zhuangzi
27. “Every man’s work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.” – Samuel Butler
28. “Often, it’s not about becoming a new person but becoming the person you were meant to be, and already are, but don’t know how to be.” – Heath L. Buckmaster
29. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.” – Aristotle
Steve is the writer behind Do Something Cool where he blogs about travel, motivation, self improvement and adventure. He’s always looking for ways to make life more interesting. For fresh ideas on living life to the fullest, join his newsletter.