“Have you seen Joe lately? It’s like he’s a different person.”
What do we mean when we say that? And if you wanted to become a different person – where would you start?
Well, what’s probably happened to Joe is one (or more) of three things.
- He’s let go of something that’s been holding him back.
- He’s rediscovered, and reclaimed, a part of himself that he was denying.
- He’s strengthened an existing part of himself that was under-emphasized before.
Let’s look at each of those in turn. How could you or I do that?
Joe may have let go of a bad relationship that was dragging him down. He may have let go of part of his self-image that was keeping him from fulfilling his potential. He may have let go of a powerful emotional memory that was distorting his life, or he may have let go of a pattern of behavior that was harmful.
Here’s my three-step approach to letting go.
- Connect. One of the ways in which negative thoughts, feelings and behaviors retain power over us is that we keep them from coming fully into our consciousness, where we can deal with them with all our resources. Sit down and look at the issue head-on – but from the outside, so that the emotions don’t wash you downstream. Observe the sensations in your body and the thoughts in your mind that come along with the issue.
- Allow. By this I mean, let the thoughts and feelings be there; don’t try to push them down or away. You’ve been doing that for years. If it was going to work, it would have worked already. Just let them be themselves and acknowledge them.
- Release. When you’re ready to do so, just allow the issue to go. I sometimes feel a distinct physical sensation, as if I’ve been holding my breath and I’ve finally let it out, when I do this step. If release doesn’t happen by itself, don’t force it; go back to connecting and allowing.
Connect, Allow, Release gives us the acronym CAR. I often use an image of standing beside a busy road watching the cars (the thoughts and feelings) to demonstrate this process. The cars come and go. You’re not in them, you don’t grab onto them or push them away. You just watch them as they come and go.
If you’ve spent much time around Jungians you’ll know about the Shadow. The Shadow is a part of ourselves that we deny, because it holds things that we’re afraid of or disgusted by. But it also holds a lot of our personal power. Every aspect of ourselves can be positive or negative, and often the most powerful parts have the greatest potential to both harm and help.
Here’s a three-step approach to regaining access to those strengths. You need to be ready for this – it’s not something to undertake lightly or in an idle moment, and it may be a process that extends over a long period.
- Connect. Yes, just the same as for letting go. You’ve been stuffing power into your Shadow for years because you haven’t paid direct attention to it. Sometimes it takes a powerful dream, or a significant loss or failure in life, to bring us face-to-face with our Shadow so that we can at last connect to it.
- Allow. Again, just as for letting go, you look at the Shadow objectively, acknowledge that it’s there, that it’s a part of you, without judging, resisting or rejecting it (or justifying or excusing it). Just hold it in consideration. This is a skill that takes some time to develop.
- Befriend. Rather than letting the Shadow go (because it’s an important part of it), look for ways to bring it into your life in a positive role. For example, you may never have allowed yourself to be angry because in your family, expressing anger was deeply unacceptable (or perhaps because a parent expressed it in a way that you swore you’d never imitate). Your anger is still there, though. How can it be a force of protection, not only for you but also for others who are in need? How can it be a dynamo driving positive change in yourself and your area of influence?
Connect, Allow, Befriend gives us the acronym CAB. This time, instead of just watching the traffic, you’re calling a part of it to you and getting it to take you where you want to go.
I’m training at the moment to increase my physical strength, and it has all kinds of benefits in clarity of mind and confidence. Developing your strengths of mind and personality works the same way.
Here’s a three-step process to develop your strengths. (No clever acronym this time.)
- Identify a strength that you want to develop. Write down everything that draws you, everything that you enjoy doing. Pick something that will take you where you want to go.
- Exercise. Look for ways to start where you are and exercise that strength as best you currently can. Train that strength.
- Build up. One of the things that’s amazed me about strength training is how feasible it is to increase your strength many-fold, just by being persistent and building up slowly. Always be challenging yourself to further improvement.
You can become a different person in any one of these three ways – by letting go of the past, allowing your hidden and denied parts to become present, or developing your strengths for a better future.
Which one will you choose first?
Mike Reeves-McMillan writes the personal development blog Living Skillfully: Change Your Life, where he’s running a series on how we avoid change. Last year he created the online course Stop Procrastinating, Start Succeeding.
Photo Credit: Ellen Kooi
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.
There is noticeably a bundle to realize about this. I think you made various nice points in features also.
viagra without a doctor prescription usa buy viagra generic viagra online for sale
best place to buy generic viagra online buy viagra generic generic viagra online for sale
cialis money order order cialis generic switching from tamsulosin to cialis
mexican viagra viagra no doctor prescription how to get viagra
427039 66171I like this site quite significantly so considerably exceptional data. 264138
100mg viagra generic viagra online viagra prescription
where to buy viagra canadian pharmacy viagra cheap viagra online
424988 57952Im often to blogging and i in actual fact respect your content. The piece has actually peaks my interest. Im going to bookmark your content material and preserve checking for brand new details. 593541
604751 889360Cool text dude, keep up the very good work, just shared this with the mates 925463
viagra pills buy ed pills online best place to buy generic viagra online
viagra 100mg price generic viagra buy viagra online cheap
723180 710338Currently genuinely do not stop eating because there is however the decision that you will transform into. Work from your home us rrs often a fad for that who wants to earn dollars yet still enough time requires most substantial occasions making use of children and kids goes for as the modern habit. attract abundance 848310
buy viagra online generic viagra 100mg viagra
buy ed pills online cheap ed pills errection problem cure
new treatments for ed cheap ed pills male enhancement
buy prescription drugs from india generic cialis ed medication
best ed drugs Cheap Erection Pills erectile dysfunction remedies
cialis lowest price buy cialis warnings for cialis
does cialis lower blood pressure cialis for sale how much does cialis cost
480701 783957Music started playing anytime I opened up this site, so annoying! 292837
ed medicine canadian drugstore online online medications
best ed pills
ed clinic buy ed pills online non prescription ed pills
over the counter ed
natural cure for ed top ed pills buy generic ed pills online
buy medications online
online medications cheap medication online buy drug online
what are ed drugs
533039 932158Most reliable human being messages, nicely toasts. are already provided gradually during the entire wedding celebration and therefore are anticipated to be extremely laid back, humorous and as well as new all at once. finest man speech 766455
https://zithromaxgeneric500.com/ buy zithromax without presc
https://amoxicillingeneric500.com/ purchase amoxicillin 500 mg
https://prednisonegeneric20.com/ where can i buy prednisone without prescription
buy generic drugs compare pharmacy prices for prescriptions
cheapest sildenafil cheap sildenafil
buy sildenafil online cheap sildenafil
cheap generic sildenafil buy sildenafil online
buy generic drugs online from india buy generic drugs online
303658 874635It is genuinely a cool and beneficial piece of data. Im glad which you shared this helpful details with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. 761079
ed meds online https://sildenafilxxl.com/ otc viagra
viagra canada generic viagra viagra online usa
ed meds online canada canadian online pharmacy viagra without doctor prescription amazon
natural ed drugs generic drugs sexual dysfunction in men
buy viagra online generic viagra where can i buy viagra over the counter
generic cialis no doctor’s prescription buy cialis cialis coupons printable
side effects for cialis cheap cialis cialis free trial
erection pills: best ed medications buy ed drugs online
canadian drug pharmacy: medications online ed meds online canada
ways to treat erectile dysfunction: canadian drug pharmacy 100mg viagra without a doctor prescription
ed meds online: ed meds best ed treatments
erectional dysfunction: best pill for ed buy prescription drugs from india
online ed drugs: erectile dysfunction natural remedies ed pills that really work
buy generic 100mg viagra online online viagra prescription 100mg viagra
viagra online canada viagra pills where to buy viagra
buy generic 100mg viagra online best place to buy generic viagra online mail order viagra
generic cialis bitcoin what is cialis what are the side effects of cialis
pet meds without vet prescription canada approved canadian pharmacies online the best ed pill
generic zithromax medicine where can you buy zithromax can you buy zithromax over the counter in australia
最近では、本物の女の子のように見える本物の人形を手に入れるだけでなく、同じような喜びを与えることができます。 それは本物の女の子のように感じます、それは喜びを刺激することができる様々な楽器を持つことができます、そしてそれのいくつかは性的関係の大きな喜びに不可欠であるうめき声もすることができます。 トルソー ラブドール
The best e-cigarette liquid site in Korea. Korea’s lowest-priced 전자담배 액상 사이트 e-cigarette liquid.
전자담배 액상 사이트 The best e-cigarette liquid site in Korea. smok25 Korea’s lowest-priced e-cigarette liquid. 스모크밤313 스모크밤