Photo Credit: DeeMayGreaves
I used to love gossiping – chewing on a juicy story about where someone’s boyfriend was seen after the party, or the story behind how that colleague really got fired. It was a great way to bond with my friends and family, made for lively conversation, and even seemed to make me feel better about myself.
Here’s how Random House Dictionary defines gossip:
Idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others.
Here’s the way I define it:
Talking in negative ways about someone who is not in the room.
It’s not always gossip to talk of others – you may need to work out a personnel issue, or figure out a problem in a friendship with the help of someone else. In which case, it is not really “idle;” you have a goal to work something out for yourself. But when it starts to feel unkind or unnecessary, it’s more likely gossip.
Here’s the truth: gossip is a huge distraction. It’s a way to avoid looking at myself, and what’s going on inside there. Why does it “make me feel better” to talk about someone else, especially their shortcomings, embarrassments, or misfortunes? Because deep down, I feel insecure and don’t want to face it. Better to focus on someone else’s tragedies because in comparison, my life is a cake walk.
Eventually, due to the hard look I took into my insecurities (a story for another day), I realized that gossip was only hurting me. In the process of weaning myself from the habit, I gained some insight. I highly recommend giving up gossip to gain these benefits:
- Regain lost time in a busy day – When I stopped listening to or participating in gossip about other people, I had a lot more time for other activities! Better conversations, more productive work time, space to be creative in my thinking and hobbies, opportunities for mindfulness and meditation.Try noticing how much time you spend talking about people who are not in the room with you – what could you do with that time?
- Learn to listen to others – Stepping back and becoming aware of the content of my conversations gave me a chance to stop talking and start listening. Listening to the energy behind them can be more informative than the words themselves. It helped me to start figuring out what kind of conversations were productive, growth-enhancing, and enriching rather than draining.Can you pause before jumping into a juicy gossip fest? Try taking a pause, or a breath, before you dive in.
- Have more substantive conversations – Letting go of the focus on other people’s shortcomings meant I could talk more about issues of concern to my well-being or the person I was talking to. I could focus on talking things through, identifying problems, and discovering solutions.Gossip is often a way to avoid looking at your own issues. Try refraining from gossip for a day. What else is coming up?
- Gain better self-esteem – Removing myself from gossip helped my self-esteem. In the past, talking about someone else often made me feel guilty or uneasy, wondering if they were going to hear what I’d said behind their backs. By focusing my conversations, I gained relief from these nagging feelings, and felt much better about my integrity.If you hear gossip today, try this exercise: Nod, acknowledge what the other is saying, and either extract yourself from the conversation or change the subject.
- Focus on compassion for others – When I stopped talking badly about others, and started focusing on what was going on with me, I was able to get some distance from others. I could see they were struggling with their own issues and even if they had negative behaviors, I could see they were doing their best to cope, just as I was.Consider the perspective of the person you are gossiping about. There’s a reason for their behavior, even if you don’t understand it. Think about what you can do to protect yourself, or to distance yourself so you are less affected, even if they don’t change.
A Few Suggestions for Breaking the Gossip Habit
- Notice when the conversation slides into discussion of other people in negative ways. Awareness is the first step. Don’t beat yourself up, just take notice.
- Ask yourself what you’re getting out of it? Is gossip helping you avoid something? Is something bothering you at work; maybe there’s a conflict between you and the person you’re gossiping about; or it could just be an unrelated issue.
- Remove yourself from conversations tending toward the negative and complaining about people who aren’t in the room.
- Gently change the subject. Indicate you are not comfortable with the topic and suggest another for discussion.
- Focus on the positive. If you don’t want to bring it up directly, keep steering conversations to positive ideas and topics whenever gossip comes up.
Linda Wolf writes Insanely Serene, a blog devoted to her passion for peace of mind. She shares her experiences and offers practical suggestions for finding your way back to serenity under any conditions. You can subscribe to her RSS feed (RSS Feed: feed://insanelyserene.wordpress.com/feed/) and also find her on Twitter at @insanelyserene.
Don’t Forget To Follow PickTheBrain on Twitter!
Reclaim Your Dream, It’s Time to Come Alive
Why You Should Read Personal Development Books
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.
Looking forward to reading more. Great article. Thanks Again. Really Cool!.
viagra from india buy generic viagra online viagra without a prescription
buy generic viagra viagra without a doctor prescription usa how much is viagra
tadalafil vs cialis generic cialis for sale 5mg cialis
viagra online canadian pharmacy buy viagra viagra professional
generic ed pills erectile dysfunction natural remedies ed solutions
herbal ed treatment best online canadian pharmacy best ed drug
viagra price buy ed pills online is viagra over the counter
how to get viagra cheap viagra viagra online canadian pharmacy
where can i buy viagra generic viagra viagra over the counter usa 2020
viagra coupons buy ed pills online cvs viagra
best ed treatment cheap ed pills buy medications online
natural ed cheap ed pills ed solutions
canadian drug prices generic viagra erectial dysfunction
errectile disfunction male erectile dysfunction erection problems
buy online drugs ED Pills Without Doctor Prescription herbal ed remedies
online drug store Cheap Erection Pills canadian drug
cialis free trial buy cialis how often to take 10mg cialis
otc cialis does cialis lower blood pressure cialis dosage 40 mg dangerous
buy prescription drugs without doctor ed pills online pharmacy cheap pills online
over the counter ed treatment canadian drug pharmacy can ed be reversed
cash advance payday loans
personal loans personal loans for bad credit
buy tadalafil buy tadalafil
sildenafil sildenafil online
buy tadalafil online tadalafil canada
viagra online canada buy viagra generic cheap viagra online canadian pharmacy
cheapest ed pills online pharmacies not requiring a prescription ed trial pack
Thanks for the post
how much does viagra cost viagra discount viagra walgreens
errection problems ed pills that work legal to buy prescription drugs without prescription
generic viagra online for sale viagra sale best place to buy generic viagra online
viagra without a doctor prescription canada buy viagra online viagra online canada
generic cialis black 800mg cheap cialis cialis 20 mg best price
does medicaid cover cialis cheap cialis cialis lowest price
viagra canada viagra prices online doctor prescription for viagra
cialis lowest price cialis generic availability cialis vs viagra
foods for ed trusted india online pharmacies ed in young men
men ed canadian drug stores viagra without doctor prescription
best ed supplements generic drugs canadian drug pharmacy
no prescription viagra generic viagra cheap viagra
men ed buy Cipro cat antibiotics without pet prescription
buy prescription drugs online: drugs that cause ed medicine for erectile
ed medications list: treat ed how to treat ed
does cialis lower your blood pressure cialis tolerance when will cialis go generic
legitimate cialis by mail average price cialis cost of cialis 20mg tablets
buy cheap zithromax online purchase zithromax z-pak zithromax prescription in canada
cialis dosage is generic cialis safe otc cialis
expired cialis 3 years canadien cialis safe alternatives to viagra and cialis
zithromax capsules where to get zithromax how to get zithromax online
cialis tadalafil 20 mg cialis dosages legitimate cialis by mail
Iím amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog thatís equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I came across this in my search for something regarding this.
The best e-cigarette liquid site in Korea. Korea’s lowest-priced 전자담배 액상 사이트 e-cigarette liquid.
전자담배 액상 사이트 The best e-cigarette liquid site in Korea. smok25 Korea’s lowest-priced e-cigarette liquid. 스모크밤755 스모크밤