How often have you heard someone telling you to “just be yourself”? In reality, being ourself in a world that is constantly trying to make us everything but ourself is far from being an easy task. It is a tremendous endeavor!
Our current society is playing on our insecurity to sell us products that will give us a false sense of belonging. It doesn’t sell us products, it sells us values like freedom, power, fame or beauty.
However, do these products help you be yourself ? Ins’t being true to yourself the only real freedom and beauty of life?
My sincere hope is that the following quotes will inspire to truly be yourself, not the person your parents, friends, colleagues or society want you to be. It is not easy, but it is definitely worthy.
Here are the 20 that will inspire you to be truly yourself:
1) Be Yourself, everyone else is already taken. – Oscar Wilde
2) I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet. – Mahatma Gandhi
3) I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself. – Rita Mae Brown
4) If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else? – RuPaul
5) Fashion is what you adopt when you don’t know who you are. – Quentin Crisp
6) Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. – Oscar Wilde
7) Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. – Steve Jobs
8) You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you’ve cheated the guy in the glass – Dale Wimbrow
9) Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. ― Bernard M. Baruch
10) Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. ― Marilyn Monroe
11) If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it. ― Frank Zappa
12) When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
13) Be yourself- not your idea of what you think somebody else’s idea of yourself should be.” ― Henry David Thoreau
14) The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don’t let them put you in that position.” ― Leo Buscaglia
15) Let others determine your worth and you’re already lost, because no one wants people worth more than themselves.” ― Peter V. Brett
16) Imitation is suicide. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
17) Strive to become the best version of you instead of the best copy of someone else’s life.” ― Edmond Mbiaka,
18) Don’t compromise even if it hurts to be yourself. – Toby Keith
19) I’ve finally stopped running away from myself. Who else is there better to be? – Goldie Hawn
20) To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. – E.E. Cummings
Here is a special bonus for you
Why not go one step further in your personal development journey? If you like this article you will greatly benefit from my free e-book. You can download it below:
Thibaut Meurisse is the founder of whatispersonaldevelopment.org. Obsessed with improvement, he dedicates his life to finding the best possible ways to durably transform both his life and the lives of others. Check out his free e-book “The 5 Commandments of Personal Development” or order his new book “Goal Setting: The Ultimate Guide To Achieving Goals That Truly Excite You” now on Amazon.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.