Doing a review of your weight loss and fat loss results can be a huge benefit. The only way to improve is to know where you went right or wrong. Getting at the truth behind your weight loss, fat loss and subsequent weight regain can sometimes be painful.
The bottom line: you want a healthy, lean body that will give you the best chance to live healthy for a long time! You need to know the reasons why your weight loss and fat loss efforts failed.
As a personal trainer, I have seen many reasons why people fail at weight loss and fat loss. Here are 10:
1. You MUST make a long-term commitment to change behavioral, eating, exercise and health habits. That means you won’t quit even if you lose some battles along the way. One bad day or bad week won’t stop you—you will get back up and keep trying.
For example, part of a Penn State University study was to examine results found at the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR). For the past two decades, NWCR has focused on a single group of people. To qualify, they have to lose at least 30 pounds and keep the weight off for at least a year. The findings aren’t surprising. The participants were successful primarily because of the following habits:
- Exercise at least an hour a day, almost every day
- Follow a low-fat, low-sugar, low-calorie diet
- Eat, more or less, the same foods all the time
- Minimize TV watching
- Eat breakfast
2. Don’t try to burn fat and lose weight all by your self. You need help to accomplish your weight loss goals. That could be a trainer, a friend, a spouse or other family member. Research proves that those who have weight loss buddies are more likely to succeed.
3. Some people are haphazard with workouts and eating habits. Consistency is critical if you want to succeed.
4. You have the wrong workout routine and you’re stuck doing the same workout week after week (with little or no results). It matters how you workout. A personal trainer can offer valuable guidance and feedback.
5. You’re not working hard enough. It takes hard, smart work to change your body composition.
6. You’re depending on a fat-burner supplement, powder or weight loss patch to change your body. Stop wasting your money!
7. If you are afraid to set goals for fear of not reaching those goals, then you will find some way to sabotage your efforts. For example, you set low goals or no goals and that’s what you achieve—very little!
Or, your goals may be unrealistic. Build your best body and not what you see on a magazine cover.
8. If you have low self worth, it will affect everything you do, including your efforts to change your body and lose weight. Somehow, you must workout because you’re worth it and its good for your health and lifestyle. This is a very positive behavior and will lead to permanent lifestyle changes.
9. You experienced quick weight loss without exercise and without fat loss. In other words, you didn’t change your body. You didn’t build muscle. You lost muscle mass. The weight came back on with a vengeance when you started to eat again and not starve yourself.
10. You can do your own weight loss and weight gain review. It will be well worth your time. Ultimately, you will succeed if you learn from your successes and failures. You can do it!
Mark has been a fat loss expert and fitness author since 2006 and is the owner of Her Fitness Hut, My Fitness Hut, Sports Fitness Hut and Your Fitness University. He has helped thousands transform their bodies to lean with lasting weight loss.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.