I bargained with Life for a penny,
And Life would pay no more,
However I begged at evening
When I counted my scanty store.
For Life is a just employer,
He gives you what you ask,
But once you have set the wages,
Why, you must bear the task.
I worked for a menial’s hire,
Only to learn, dismayed,
That any wage I had asked of Life,
Life would have willingly paid.
– Jessie Rittenhouse
Having everything that you want might sound a little selfish. Self want just for the sake of having material things probably is. The truth however lies in this timeless poem and it sounds a lot like that old saying, “Be careful what you wish for.” In other words, if we don’t know exactly what it is that we want our outcomes fall prey to the wandering disarray of our thoughts.
The average human brain has about 90,000 – 150,000 thoughts per day. 60-100 messages are bombarding our brain every minute. If we let every fleeting thought control our emotions we would be angry, thirsty, aroused and tired, all in just the next 30 seconds.
“Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.”
This all goes to show, to have any control over what we bring into our lives every day or what we acquire in our short time on earth we must focus our thoughts on our true desires. Only then do we have a chance at getting from Life everything that we want.
Pour some Super on Your Natural With These 3 Simple Steps
- Ask for What You Want: Sounds easy enough, but is it? Material items and financial gains are often the object of our desires but rarely quench the thirst for inner peace. To begin understanding how life on purpose will bring clarity, fun and excitement start asking the questions behind the question:
– What do I want more of in my life that I already have? Get out a piece of paper and write a list of everything that you are grateful for.
– What are 5 things that I have always wanted to do or learn?
– Where are 10 places that I have always wanted to go?
– What are the 3 material things that I have always dreamed of having?
These questions can serve well as jumping off points for discovering what it is that is really inside your heart. Whether you are looking for your purpose in Life or trying to find a way to pay the bills, this where we all need to spend some time digging. A quick cure for a nagging circumstance typically doesn’t lead to a long term quality of life type of satisfaction. Turn off all feelings of lack and unworthiness and dream with abundant thoughts as you answer these questions for yourself.
Once you know what you want, start Asking for it in all that you do. Here is the trick, when you Ask you need to think Action. If you are asking for something that you have never had, a new dream job or trip to Hawaii, you are going to have to do some things you have never done.
I recommend reading 7 Tools to Radically Transform Your Life (http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/7-tools-to-radically-transform-your-life/) for some great methods on attracting what you want but start with writing it down in a journal or a piece of paper and then think of 3 actions that you can take today to move yourself in that direction.
If it is a new dream job, dust off your resume, have a look at some courses you could take to bolster your credentials, connect with someone currently in that position and start a new friendship. If your dream is a trip to Hawaii, get online and get all the details about where you will want to stay and how much it will cost, start a plan to put the money aside. Stop thinking, Agh maybe next year.
Whatever it is that you ask for, remember there is no getting without giving. Declare what it is that you want and start taking actions, however big or small and you have now started your momentum moving in a new direction. You must demonstrate the Will & Desire to sacrifice what you want now in pursuit of this larger goal or dream you will have in the future.
2. Act and Live as If: This takes a little practice but the key is to have fun with it. You have to infuse your thoughts with strong feelings of happiness and love to provoke the strong emotion of desire. My wife and I did a little Acting As If this past weekend. The hospital where I have spent much time over the course of the last year has an annual Dream Home Lottery. In our 23 years together we had never bought a home lottery ticket. Our whole family saw the second prize dream home in the mountain town of Canmore, where we used to live. Immediately everyone was captivated with making this our new home and moving back to this town we all love. We bought a ticket and began to put thoughts and warm feelings to work seeing ourselves already living in the beautiful house. On Thursday night at dinner, the kids wanted to talk about what it would be like, we all visualized each others dreams as we told stories. Friday morning I received an email that the dream home was open for viewing. Saturday morning my wife says, I am taking you for a drive. An hour later we are walking around the house, experiencing the rooms, the views, enjoying ourselves as if we were already living there. We took it a step further and went and visited our favorite Canmore coffee shop and took in the entire atmosphere of the town and its magnificent Rocky Mountain surroundings.
Are we going to win the dream home? You better believe it! What is disheartening to me though is that I see so many people quit on themselves and their dreams way too soon. Dreams and goals require resolve a commitment that if it doesn’t work this way I will find another way. They also require an unwavering Faith, which is simply a belief in something that is not yet proof. Take in this quote by the legendary Jim Rohn.
– Jim Rohn
Whatever you want, make the commitment today to start acting and living as if you already have it and your direction will change.
3. Help others to get what they want: In truth, through living your life in this fashion nothing else will matter. When we live with a mantra that puts the needs of others ahead of our own, life becomes magical. Magnetized with an attitude of servitude, people, places and things become attracted to us in ways that were never before possible.
What can I do today to help someone else?
- Attract what you want by giving what you don’t have to give. If you don’t have any time to spare, start giving it away with love. Help an elderly neighbor with the groceries, spend 30 minutes reading with your kids, volunteer your time walking dogs at the SPCA.
- If you don’t have money, find a way to give. Help some kids raise money for a team bottle drive, donate to the food bank, buy a meal for a homeless person. Find a way.
- If you need better relationships in your life, be a friend. Call a sibling and find out what is going on in their life, ask questions and listen. Listening is almost a lost art, resist the temptation to speak about yourself and listen to what is happening in other peoples lives, Can you help?
The key to this activity is that it comes from the heart. Don’t give expecting to receive. When you feel good in doing something for others who can do nothing for you in return you are on the right track.
This is the golden rule in having everything that you want, it has been spoken about through the generations and first mentioned in the bible. I think it is best summed up in these words:
“You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”
– Zig Ziglar