“I celebrate myself, and sing myself” ~ Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Do you celebrate life or do you hide in the shadows?
Too many people hide their feelings, afraid to live out loud, afraid to stand out, and afraid to really enjoy life. Meanwhile, others seem to be a party unto themselves, unabashedly unafraid!
If you find it hard to enjoy yourself, or step out of your comfort zone, read on…
You deserve happiness.
You deserve to have your accomplishments and unique personality recognized.
You deserve to celebrate yourself!
Don’t worry about becoming a raging egomaniac or blind to your faults; the beauty of being able to celebrate and love yourself is that it allows you to deal with your shortcomings in a productive way.
Secure, happy people are also confident; able to take criticism and understand their mistakes and failings do not make them bad, unworthy people and thus have no need to be defensive or evasive when dealing with these shortcomings.
Make time each day to celebrate your many positive attributes, your boundless potential, and the beauty of your own existence. Here are 10 ways how…
1. Look in the mirror and tell yourself, “I love you.” Don’t worry if it doesn’t come naturally at first. Keep practicing and soon you will not only be able to say those three words to yourself, but you’ll mean them, too.
2. Take good care of yourself. Make nourishing your body a priority. It’s worth making the time to ensure that you eat a varied, nutritious and tasty diet. Think of the message you are sending yourself (and others) every time you neglect to eat or rest to take care of somebody else’s non-vital needs.
3. Wear clothes that flatter and fit. You don’t necessarily have to become a clotheshorse, but you’ll feel much better and have more confidence if you wear clothes that fit and are comfortable.
4. Don’t be afraid or ashamed to do things solo. Many people miss out on events and opportunities because they don’t have anyone to go with them. Know you have the confidence to be independent and exult in the freedom that comes from being able to set your own agenda.
5. Modesty and humility are wonderful, but they shouldn’t keep you from taking pride in your own accomplishments. You don’t need to brag, but you also don’t need to downplay your accomplishments or apologize for them. When you have good news to share, tell people exactly what happened and why it makes you so happy. You aren’t doing anything wrong by spreading joy and happiness!
6. Give yourself the downtime you deserve. Make time for the things that relax and refresh you, even if it means that you can’t be 100% available for everyone else. Recognize your needs are just as important as everyone else’s and that it’s up to you to make sure that they are taken care of.
7. Spread your joyful spirit by smiling as often as you can. Take pride in knowing that your happiness is infectious and you can make so many days brighter just by flashing your grin.
8. Have fun picking a motto and theme song for your life. Shaft isn’t the only bad motha’ who should have a theme song. Find one which suits your bad self and don’t be afraid to hum it or sing it to yourself from time to time. If mottos are more your style, feel free to mentally repeat yours as often as needed to keep you on your happy path.
9. Surround yourself with positive people. Not yes-men, rather people who have a can-do spirit and lift those around them up instead of dragging them down. Don’t feel like you always have to be the one lifting everyone else up, particularly if they don’t seem receptive. Be there for others during their times of need but know that you can, and should, cut loose people who fill your life with negativity and self-doubt. Positivity and negativity are infectious.
10. Speak up because what you have to say is worth hearing. Don’t wait for somebody else to say what you are thinking or hope that others can read your mind. You won’t always get your way and people will disagree with you, but you should never be the one to tell yourself that your voice doesn’t count.
Celebrate yourself by treating yourself the way that you’d treat your child, spouse, or best friend. Understand that you deserve the best that life has to offer and that you have so much to contribute to the world. Serenade the world with your song!
The FREE PickTheBrain “90 Days to a Better You” eCourse was built to give you more confidence than you ever thought possible. You get one confidence boosting email a day, a motivational quote, and a photo to inspire you – all for Free
Join us today…
Tracy O’Connor blogs about ghostwriting and living a better life. Follow her on Twitter.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.