When it comes to being healthy, we all know we should be consuming plenty of water – so why do so many of us struggle to drink the recommended daily allowance? Whether you regularly forget to top up your water bottle or simply don’t enjoy drinking water, there are ways to make sure you’re getting enough H2O. We’ve put together some handy tips on how to increase your water intake, add flavor to your drinks and stay hydrated all day long.
Benefits of H2O
From clearer skin to reducing headaches, the benefits of drinking plenty of water are endless. As well as keeping us healthy and hydrated, maintaining regular water intake helps us stay alert and active throughout the day. Recommended water consumption is different for everyone, but there is a simple way to figure out how much H2O you should be consuming on a daily basis. An article published by U.S News suggests our water intake should be calculated by halving our body weight and drinking that number of ounces. That way, we can all make sure we’re getting the right amount of water for our bodies.
Inject some flavor
It’s the age old debate: does water have a taste? While some argue that it doesn’t, others claim that it has a flavor that they simply don’t like. Wherever you stand, there are ways to shake up a simple glass of water so that it tempts everyone’s tastebuds – and adding flavor to your water doesn’t have to be time consuming or expensive.
- Water infusion – fill old jars with water and add your favorite fruits. Store the jars in the fridge overnight and allow the fruit to infuse your water with scrumptious new flavors
- Flavored ice cubes – for a refreshing burst of flavor, dice up some fruit and leave it to freeze overnight – then simply add it to your drink for a mouthwatering taste
- Fruit juice – if you’re in a rush, add a splash of sugar-free fruit juice to your water for an instant burst of flavor
Some tasty recipes
The beauty of creating your own fruit-infused drinks is that you can add anything you like – but just in case you’re struggling for ideas, we’ve put together some of our favorite recipes:
- Orange and blueberry – for a true taste of summer, add a handful of blueberries and some orange segments to your water and leave them to chill
- Raspberry and strawberry – if you’re a fan of berries, put these in the freezer overnight then add them to your drink for an ice cold, fruity treat
- Cucumber and mint – go green this season by adding this cool combo to your water for instant refreshment
- Lemon and lime – for a real citrus kick without the artificial sugars, add some sliced lemon and lime to your H2O
If you spend a large portion of the day at work, it’s essential to think about water consumption throughout the working day. It can be easy to become distracted and forget to look up from your desk or keep yourself hydrated – but this can actually decrease brain activity and productivity. Water coolers in the workplace are a great way to get unlimited access to H2O – but if your office doesn’t have one, don’t let that discourage you. Bring in a large bottle of water from home and commit to drinking the whole bottle before the end of the working day. By taking responsibility for your own water consumption and making sure you’re getting your recommended daily allowance, you’re guaranteed to reap the mental and physical rewards.
So what are you waiting for? Take your first step towards glorious hydration today. All hail H2O!
Damien Higgins is Marketing Manager for Eden Springs, a leading supplier of environmentally friendly office coffee machines and water coolers to businesses and organisations throughout the UK, helping to keep your employees hydrated and productive all day long.