Dictionary.com defines habit as “an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary”. In other words at first you choose your habit consciously and with effort then after sometime the habits doesn’t require the effort of any conscious application from you. No wonder the old sage says that” at first we make our habits then our habits makes us“. You are a product of habits.
Ever seen a smoker? At first he chooses to smoke, he decides the kind of cigarette he wants, then when he keeps doing it after a period of time, smoking becomes so congruent with his system that he finds it very difficult and sometimes impossible to break.
In this article I am going to share with you the top 7 habits of successful and wealthy people, you would do yourself a great advantage to take notes as I share these habits with you so you can begin to make adjustment where necessary.
5 Habits Of Successful People
1. They are not greedy. You want to be rich and wealthy? Then you have to stay away from greed! Greed is the first factor that makes scamming people seem so easy. Some people just believe everything they read and see and are willing to part with all their money. Ever heard some businesses that ask you to put in $100 and get maybe $10,000 back in two days? The funny thing is that everyday people still fall prey to scam as a result of the greed in them. You have to curb your greed. You have to properly analyze every business idea and opportunity that comes you way, see the positives as well as the negatives.
“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” Socrates
2. They put success before money. Any body can make money. The guy who cons someone out of millions of dollars and never gets caught has lots of money but does that make him successful? What about the one who won a million dollars through the lottery but doesn’t know what to do with it and thereby spend all his time wasting it? Can he be said to be a great man? No.
Great men always put success before money. Remember that at the end of the day you will not be remembered for the amount of money you made but by the impact you had on lives and you cannot impact someone’s live until your own life has been impacted.
3. They exhibit self-control and discipline. What do you think about this quote by the great and legendary boxer Muhammed Ali “‘I hated every minute of training but I said to myself, suffer now so you can live the rest of your life as a champion”. Inspiring right? That is one trait EVERY successful person has in them and they continually strengthen. Writing this article was not a matter of interest but commitment.
I worked yesterday for 14 hours straight, and woke up this morning feeling lethargic. I could have chosen to just spend the whole day sleeping but then I remembered the words of Zig Ziglar “Do what you have to do when you have to do them and a time will come when you will do what you have to do when you ought to do them”
4. They value relationships. In reality no man is self-made . I love this quote by Elizabeth Warren it says” “There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there – good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn’t have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory… Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea – God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”
You have to realize that you need people to be all that you want to be in life and you should value your relationship with everyone you meet whether it is the head of a school or the security man at the entrance.
5. They create rules and follow them. Prolific Business Gurus like Dan Kennedy have said many times he writes an average of 1hr first thing in the morning and he does that EVERYDAY of the week. In fact on the day of his mother’s burial ceremony he still wrote. The great footballers and singers practice everyday and all the time possible. If you want to be rich and successful you must have rules that you follow almost 100% of the time. Do you have a particular time that you wake up? How often have you followed it? When you give yourself a task to hit during a stipulated period of time do you push yourself till you complete it? What makes you tick?
These 5 traits can be found in every successful person. Can they be found in you? If not , start making the right changes today.
How to Get Sh*t Done will teach you how to zero in on the three areas of your life where you want to excel, and then it will show you how to off-load, outsource, or just stop giving a damn about the rest.